KS1 Geography activities that can be carried out before, during or after a farm visit.
Curriculum area: Geographical skills
- Draw own map of farm.
- Make layout of farm - provide ready-cut/scaled coloured paper to represent buildings for children to place and arrange in plan of farm.
- Draw route to farm as remembered.
- Record route to farm on tape as remembered.
- Use map of farm with simple paths - give directions to a friend - up, down, sideways, left, right, NSEW. Friend moves tractor/animals along paths to destination.
- Simple plans of farms
- Different coloured papers cut to size to represent different elements of farm
- Tape recorder
- Map of farm with simple paths
- Direction card prompt
Curriculum area: Places
- Compare map of local area with farm area - colour all the planted areas green; what do they observe? Colour buildings brown etc.
- Map of farm - colour crops/animal areas differently.
- Compare two different farms.
- Differences between town/country (could also be between two different types of farms) using tick sheet.
- Compare farming from another country
- Identify land on farm map/picture - colour red everywhere animals live; colour green everywhere crops grow; colour brown fences etc.
- Use of buildings/land - is it for crops, animals, people; use big plan of farm, place pictures of people/animals in appropriate places.
- Seasons: make a year dial for the seasons; add things which happen on the farm, eg spring - lambs born, autumn - harvest, winter - animals inside.
- Weather: design or match clothes for the farmer for different seasons.
- Jobs on farm: make a list; what needs doing; who do you need?
- Make an advertisement for a farm job.
- Make a wanted poster for a farm job.
- Simple plan of local area
- Plan of farm area
- Worksheet with grid as shown
- Photos/pictures of farming in different countries
- Plan view or picture of farm
- Large floor plan of farm, class- or teacher-made
- Square and smaller circle of card with ¼ cut out of circle and a paper fastener
- Worksheet outlines of farmer
Curriculum area: Thematic study
- Likes and dislikes about town/farm - children fill in worksheet to show their likes and dislikes
- Prepare appropriate worksheet